We help organizations build capacity in three main areas that are critical to creating effective and sustainable governance frameworks for extractive resources.
Learn when and how to develop legislation, regulation, policies and ways to collect, manage and distribute the funds that government receives from resource development. This can include:
- Royalty and taxation systems for sustainable and predictable revenues, optimizing public benefit.
- A competitive system that attracts industry investment.
- State-owned investment funds (Sovereign Wealth Funds).
Legislative and Regulatory Frameworks
Learn when and how to establish an integrated system of legislation, regulation, policies, rules and processes that operators must follow to ensure resource development balances economic, environmental and social factors. This can include:
- Policy outcomes and regulatory objectives that identify what the government wants to achieve.
- How to develop a transparent, predictable and efficient regulatory system that will enable the system to meet regulatory objectives.
- Compliance assurance activities that ensure operators follow rules and processes, and that policy outcomes are met.
- Stakeholder education and outreach.
- Organizational design of the institutions that will build and implement the regulatory regime.
- Technical expertise on specific issues such as water usage, land reclamation, and pipeline corridors.
These areas can be focused on specific countries’ needs, such as managing unconventional resources, developing competitive markets or reforming existing regulatory practices.
Learn when and how to appropriately engage with people and organizations affected by resource development, from simply providing information to appropriately considering public feedback. This can include:
- Consultation processes with affected communities and Indigenous peoples.
- Respecting local values and cultural norms.
- Understanding who your stakeholders are and their concerns.
- What tools are best suited to engage people and communities.
We customize course material, meeting each country’s specific needs, ensuring time and money is well spent. We can host delegations or bring our experts to clients in their country.
This training program will increase the institutional capacity within government and enable officials from various ministries to speak the same language –past training participant